20 July 2013

18 – Listen, It’s Good

I mention in the 'What's a House Newf?' profile section that I write about things that add value to my life that may add some value to yours. Music is one of those things. I love it. I’m a big fan of many genres and artists. As I’ve taken to telling people who ask, I’ll listen to anything from ABBA to AC / DC. With a few exceptions, of course. 
 
One of the greatest things about music is its knack for triggering powerful emotions. There’s nothing like hearing one of those songs that just lifts your spirits. You know what I’m talking about. No matter how dreary or exhausting your day may be, that song just turns it on a dime. It makes everything seem a little better. Don’t ask me why. It just does.

It's Saturday evening, it's summertime (in my hemisphere it is anyway) and I’ve wanted to write an essay all day. But I didn’t really want to think hard. I just wanted to have some fun with it. Besides, sometimes thinking can be a stupid thing to do.

So here’s a selection of songs that lift me up. They’re in no particular order. They’re not a list of my all-time favourites. And more importantly, I’d love to hear about the songs that get you going too.

And don’t worry: The House Newf is not going to become a daily conveyor belt for dime-a-dozen lists of ’12 Things That Blah, Blah, Blah.’ Things will be back to normal in The House Newf #19 when I discuss why quitting doesn’t mean that you suck.

Less talk, more music! Enjoy!

Good Vibrations, The Beach Boys
There’s Too Much Love, Belle and Sebastian
Good Times, Bad Times, Led Zeppelin
Far Behind, Eddie Vedder
I Believe in You, Cat Power
Camaro, Kings of Leon
Cherry Cherry, Neil Diamond
Dancing in the Streets, Martha and the Vandellas
Hold Me Tight, The Beatles

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's a House Newf?